How to Encourage Others to Talk
The most popular people are those who can get others to talk about what interests them. Here are some specific hints to get others to talk.
- Stop talking. You can't listen if you're talking.
- Give positive feedback. Look and act interested. Nods, alertness, and smiles encourage the other person.
- Ask questions that show interest and attention.
- Empathize with the other person. Put yourself in their place.
- Keep confidences. If the information is sensitive, don't share it with others.
- Share information with them. We tend to talk to those who talk to us. So if you want the other person to share information with you, share information with them.
- Finally, make a conscious effort to talk less than the other person.
The next time you wonder why another person is not talking very much, ask yourself if you are doing all you can to encourage them.