Motivating Others: Inspire Confidence
I often speak on how to motivate others. The first step is to inspire
Others are more easily motivated when they see our confidence. More
specifically we should:
- Look Confident. Some people just look more confident than
others. A smile (see last month’s column) and a look of self assurance
and confidence motivates those around us.
- Act Confident. Others are also motivated by those who act
confident. Don’t mistake confidence with braggadocio or a lack of
humility. In fact these behaviors often reveal just the opposite in a
- Feel Confident. The person who feels confident sees
opportunities rather than obstacles and motivates others and causes them
to also feel confident.
- Think Strategically. Show that you see how the task at hand
fits into the bigger picture. People are more motivated when they see a
smaller task as part of a bigger concern.
- Handle Adversity. Perhaps nothing inspires or motivates
others more than a person who triumphs over adversity—the one who
doesn’t quit, but perseveres until the task is finished.
Next month we will look at another step to motivating others.